Friday, January 6, 2012

More crazy yoga harm

In this article, Jill Miller relates Patricia Sullivan's story in yoga journal (Sullivan was one of my teachers through Piedmont Yoga Studio) about falling asleep at the wheel as the result of nerve damages caused by headstands!
She painfully details a journey of denial in which her headstand caused (yes, caused) crippling nerve pain that eventually culminated in her falling asleep at the wheel and driving off the road into a lagoon. At last Patricia had a doctor examine her and they found “extensive damage, including a reversed cervical curve, disk degeneration, and bony deposits that were partially blocking nerve outlets.” By her own admission, “my longing to excel both in my asana practice and as an asana teacher had led me to ignore my body’s signals and cries for relief.”
Wow - attachment is powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment